Custom Search

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Redirect Your Thoughts

A good way to move forward in life or to achieve goals is to focus positively on the things that we want instead of focusing on the things that we don't want. I have a habit of stressing on the things that I don't want to happen in my life instead of imagining things to play out how I actually want them. I'm actually going through this as I type!! I'm hoping that I can look back and take my own advice.

It is very important that we pay attention to our thoughts because as we've learned from the book "The Secret", we bring to life the very things that we focus on (good and bad)

Good example: most of my readers know that my son has Sickle Cell Disease. 2008 was a tough year for us. My son was in and out of the hospital frequently. In 2009, he started to spend less time in the hospital. At one point, he had gone almost 9 months without being admitted. I realized this and brought it to his attention and shortly after, he was back in the hospital. We had another incidence a few weeks ago, where I brought up the fact that it's been about 6 months since he's been in the hosptial and sure enough, we were at the emergency room a few days later. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are other factors such as the weather and physical activity that brought about his crisis, but my point is my constant thinking about this has in some way brought it to reality.

A good tip on correcting negative thinking is to re-route those negative thoughts when arrive and speak of only those things that we want to happen. Example: I am looking foward to having a nice dinner with an old friend. Or perhaps, instead of saying, hope I haven't gained too much weight for my favorite pair or jeans, one could say something like, I look foward to fitting comfortably in my size 4 jeans.  In my case, I think it's best that I don't make mention of my son's illness as it relates to having a crisis. The reality of this situation is that I have to actively make sure that he eats well, take his meds and watch his physical activity, but I will not make mention of the pain crisis and hosptitalizations.

If you have any tips to postive thinking, please share them in comments.

0 comments: