Custom Search

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Fathers In My Life

As I reminisce on my childhood, I realize how lucky I was to have two fathers. My biological father; Paul Abraham and my step father; Harvey Sanders. Both were influential figures in my life and both are great grand parents to my children. My biological father, Paul taught me that it’s never too late to pick up the pieces in your life and start anew. At nearly 40 years old, he stumbled and lost nearly everything he had; his apartment, his car, and his job. It wasn’t long before he regrouped and pulled his life back together. During his downfall, we remained close and I learned not to judge people for their circumstances because even the strongest can fall and get back up again.


Harvey was more influential during my child hood. At a very young age, he taught me to be self sufficient. That doesn’t mean not to ask for help when I need it, but to attempt to do things on my own first. As soon as I learned how to drive a car, I also learned how to change a tire as well as how to put motor oil in my own car. Harvey was a great provider for our family. We didn’t have everything we wanted, but we had everything we needed.

I give honor to them both. Many children grow up without even one father. I was lucky enough to have two. Thank you Paul and Harvey. I love you both. Thank you for teaching me and thank your for loving me.


My dad (Paul ) and my son at my son's mentoring program induction ceremony.

0 comments: