Custom Search

Monday, June 21, 2010

A Little Discomfort

Happy Monday! I woke up this morning and the the word "discomfort" immediately came to mind. Today is my son's first day participating in a mentoring program for young black males. Although it's a positive program with tons of benefits for him, he would much rather spend his summer doing things of his own choice. I explained to him that in order to progress in school, in a career and in life, there will and must be some level of discomfort. Being too comfortable will stagnate us and leave us in the same place for years. I'm excited for him. I know the feeling of being around people you don't know and in an environment in which you are unfamiliar, however, this experience will teach him the importance of networking and getting to know people from other walks of life. As an adult, I am familiar with discomfort. In fact, I welcome it into my life right now. I too have been stangant in my career and my life and I am now looking for opportunities to grow, advance, network and just live a more exciting life altogether. I'm happy for my son and the little hint of discomfort that he is experiencing as I type this post. I can't wait to see his growth at the end of the summer.

0 comments: