Custom Search

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

This is a subject that I really did not want to touch upon on my blog because I don't want to be depicted as an angry black woman, however it is something that  bothers me. First question: Why do men who pay court ordered child support play the role of a victim? Within the past month, I have heard 2 men say "she got what she deserved" or "she's the one who went to the court, so now she's gonna get less". Second question: Is it just my thinking or have men forgotten that child support is support for the CHILD; not the mother? Who is the victim here? The father who is FORCED to provide financial support for THEIR child or the child who may be lacking  necessities due to a selfish, non-supportive father?

Let me get this right:So you feel "slighted" or "betrayed" because the mother of your child is asking for financial support? Men, please try and understand this: Child support is NOT for the mother. I repeat. It is NOT for the mother. In family law and government policy, child support is the ongoing practice for a periodic payment made for the financial care and support of children of a relationship or marriage that has been terminated.  The purpose of child support is to cover costs incurred from raising a child, which includes but is not limited to food, shelter, school lunch, medical expenses, clothes, schools supplies, daycare, afterschool care, summer camp costs, extra curricular activites (sports, dance, etc..) tutoring, libraries fees, gas to transport them back and forth from A to B.

Now that I've got that off my chest....I will say, that there are some GREAT fathers out there. I happen to know several. To those men, I say "hats off to you, Thank you for caring. I respect you and I pray that our future (especially in the African American community) will see many more great fathers like you".

Thanks and have a fabulous day.

0 comments: