Custom Search

Monday, October 5, 2009

The Gift of Giving

IT'S COLD THIS MORNING!! As I drove my children to school this morning, I thought about the fast approaching WINTER Several thoughts came to mind; "I need to get my daughter more uniform pants and undershirts, how should I adjust my thermostat this morning before I leave for work?" The most disturbing thought that came to mind was the many homeless families in Charlotte and the grueling fight that they will encounter this winter.

Homelessness is a serious problem in Charlotte and other parts of the United States. Let me tell you, the faces of homelessness and hunger is no longer limited to the men and women you see standing by the highway asking for money. Don't be confused. Homelessness and hunger cloesly resembles the faces of our own!!! I learned this last year while volunteering at the men's shelter. You would be surprised at the caliber of men visiting the shelter for food and a safe haven to sleep for the night.

According to the website http://awayhome.org/ ,approxiatmely 5000 people are homeless in Mecklenburg County. These totals include people who live on the streets, in shelters and with family!! More than one-third of these individuals are children!

I believe it is everyone's duty to help when we can. I challenge my readers to do something TODAY to help with this problem. We can all help by donating old AND new items to people that need them. Go to a local Salvation Army center or even donate items to a Goodwill store near you. We can also help by donating time to serve food to the homeless. Check with some of the churches around the city or call to one of the centers below:
Harvest Center (704) 332-4280
Uptown Day Center (704) 334-3187
Urban Ministry Center (704) 347-0278

For more information on the homeless and how you can help, check out http://awayhome.org/. You may also access this site to register for the 2009 HOPE FOR THE HOMELESS WALK on November 21, 2009.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another place to donate is Crisis; 500 Spratt St, (704)371-3001.

Jack said...

Yet another place is the Free Store, 516 E 15th St. The primary clients are the homeless and those just getting into homes. Shoes, thermal underwear (it is COLD without a house!), other clothing, furniture, small appliances ... if it was ever of value to anyone, then someone will have a need for it. Open Sat 10-5, Mon, Tue, Thur & alternate Wed 9-2. 704-287-7550

@FABMOMCLT said...

Hi Jack,

Welcome to Fabmomclt and thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment. I will happy to post this information in the main forum for the local readers to see. I have one question....Is the name of this place really called "The Free Store?" I want to be sure to post accurate information. Thanks again, Tissa. Be sure to stop by again and contribute. You are appreciated.

Jack said...

Yes, it is "The Free Store". You can access information about it at VISIONPOSSIBLE.COM