Custom Search

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Must Be The Music!

Growing up in the 80's and 90's, music was as much of a necessity as was food. Okay, okay maybe not to that extent, but we have to admit that most of us grew up with some form music in the home and it definitely had it's place in our homes!!. For some, gospel was the remedy of choice. For others it was rhythm and blues. For my generation, it was old school hip hop. During times of sorrow as well as happiness, we turned to music. Something about the messages in the music had a way of bringing things to reality for us. It allowed us to play our lives out through the lyrics. Somehow the lyrics spoke directly to us and the situation that we were going through at that moment. Doug-E-Fresh's "La-di-da-di" got the party jumping, while Shirley Murdock's "As we Lay" made us think we were grown and "really" in love for the first time!!

Isn't it quite amazing how an artist can share their lives through song and have the whole world feeling their pain? Some artists have the ability to capture the hearts and sympathy of millions! Whitney had us all feeling like "Team Whitney" when she hit the charts with her comeback song "I Look To You". Queen MJB continues to share her life story with each album, and most recently Usher returned with what some are calling his divorce track "Papers." In the song, Usher sings about the personal issues between he and his soon to be ex-wife Tameka Foster Raymond. There's been alot of talk about the song on urban radio, Facebook and of course Twitter. Some are applauding the track, while others feel like it's TMI. Besides the fact that he seems to gloat about signing divorce papers, I am actually glad that Usher has at least returned to his R &B roots. Anything is better than the POP of a mess he made out of his last album. Much love to Tameka Foster Raymond and I hope this track doesn't lead to an ugly, public divorce, but I happen to like the song. What do you think? Is Usher using his personal life to sell records? Does he deserve the same appreciation as MJB when she first began dishing the dirt on her rocky relationship with K-Ci? I'm just saying....

Monique Show (my last comment about the show)-Since I was already awake, I watched Monique’s second show. Her guests included Tiny and Toya, Faizon Love and the two remaining members of B2K; Anyway, it was nothing special and if Monique doesn't invite more celebrities that we really want to see, her run will be shorter than Tiny and Toya and B2K put together!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I was only able to watch the first 15 minutes of the show and I was bored to death. I was not interested in watching Tiny and Toya at all!

Anonymous said...

I missed the premiere of the show, but I must agree that the ssecond show could have been better. I love Toya, however, that Tiny needs major work.Does she not talk like she has dentures?

Anonymous said...

Monique looked great! As for the show...

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is your cousin Benny. I have only watched a clip of her show which I think is going to be a success because of her ability to relate on different issues that are happening in the world. On another note I am so happen that you have done this blog.I'm not a parent but I have a younger sister that is a Fabulous Mom. Please continue to be aspiring to other young moms out there. Love Ya!!!