Custom Search

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Parenting-You Be The Judge


Earlier this week, I initiated a discussion on facebook about single parenting and my views on court ordered child support. Basically, I think court ordered child support is for lames. I understand that there are some really good fathers out here (my dad is one of them). I also understand that there are unfortunate circumstances where court ordered child support is best for all, but there are too many mothers  struggling to raise their children alone and in my humblest opinion, men should be more than willing to provide for their children without being forced to do so. Anyway, during this discussion, one of my childhood friends (a male) made a reference to the roles of parents. In short, he said "Mothers are teachers. Father's are providers."

I understand his point, but I choose not to assign roles to parenting. In my humblest opinion, each parent is equally responsible for all needs of the child. Additionally, there are just some things that boys will learn best from their dads as well as things that girls will learn best from their mothers. So basically, both parents should be nurturers and providers.
I want to hear from you. What is your view on co-parenting? How can we as co-parents work  together in the best interest of our children?

Note: I would like for this to be a positive discussion. It is not my intention to place blame or to discredit others for their efforts as parents. I actually plan to gather some data about "co-parenting" and how to improve the relationships between the mother and the father. Your comments are most welcome.

0 comments: