Custom Search

Monday, November 2, 2009

The Power of Forgiveness




For nearly six years, I held onto ill feelings about close family member. I've refused to have any contact (at all) with this person. I wouldn't speak nor look at them. I wouldn't even allow them to interact with my children. Because I was hurt, I intended to hurt them by removing them from my life completely. What I didn't realize all these years is that the person I hurt the most was ME!! By harboring those feelings; I became angry, resentful and bitter (sounds like a Tasha Mack story, huh?). As a result, I also adopted poor habits (fear and lack of trust) that would eventually cause more harm than I could've imagined. Fast forward six years and several bouts of anxiety and panic attacks, I finally realized that in order to become the person that God intended for me to be, I needed to make some changes in my life; starting with forgiveness. So, I did the unthinkable and called this person. The moment I dialed the number, a weight was lifted from my body...my spirit. I knew that I had taken the right steps. I honestly believe that my life has taken a positive turn ever since. What I have learned is that forgiveness is not for the other person. Forgive is for YOU! For some reason, we seem to think being mad at a person, will make us feel better, when in fact, it actually hurts us. Unforgivness complicates our walk with God. When we learn to forgive, we're following God's instructions. Remember what the bible says: If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins ( Matthew 6:14)

Have you ever struggled to forgive someone? How did you find your way to forgiveness. Share your story in comments

For more information on learning to forgive, check out the links below:
http://www.joycemeyer.org/

http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2009/03/what-are-the-benefits-of-forgiveness/ (click here to learn of physical benefits associated with forgiving.)

0 comments: