Custom Search

Thursday, November 5, 2009

When The Divorce Is Over....


Hello fabulous people!

So I'm hanging out on Twitter last night and there's a few folks who had some "words of choice" for Tameka Foster Raymond (ex-wife of superstar Usher Raymond) regarding her decision to keep her married last name.

I don't understand why there's a big deal about her keeping the name. After all, it's HER name and it doesn't change the fact that they were married and had children together. If she wasn't Tameka Raymond, would people even care? Note: Just to keep things clear, the comments came from a few of her followers. There were no comments on Twitter that suggests that she was asked to relinquish her last name. (Just thought I'd share that.)

So now I want to know, when a woman divorces, should she return to using her maiden name or should she keep her married name? Is there a politically correct answer to this question? Well..... I searched the internet to see what others think. Check out some of the responses I found:
  • "Most women who get divorced change their names back anyway; who would want to keep the name of someone they aren't married to anymore?"
  • "I did. It gave me back my own Identity."
  • "Think it over 1oo times, You will then be using a different surname as your kids, which will cause confusion & lits of questions for your kids."
  • "If she has only been married for 1-3 years, the answer is yes. Over 4 years married, the answer is no. The woman should not change to her maiden name for these reasons:

    If she has earned less than her husband, his retirement checks will be more than hers. If he dies before her, she can claim his portion of social security benefits-even though they are divorced. If she changes her last name, she will have to prove (and this will take a long time) that she was married to him and she is entitled to his social security benefits."

You know after I think about it, there could be some benefits in keeping the last name of a well known R and B Superstar. Excuse my language, but hell, if my last name was "Raymond", I wouldn't change either. I would use that s@#(  to advance my career further. Don't Judge Me!

0 comments: